2nd February 2017
GALATIANS 4 v. 1 – 6
‘Now I say, as long as the heir is a child, he does not differ at all from a slave although he is owner of everything, but he is under guardians and managers until the date set by the father.
So also we, while we were children, were held in bondage under the elemental things of the world.
But when the fullness of time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, in order that He might redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.
And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, ‘Abba! Father!’
Therefore, you are no longer a slave, but a son; and, if a son, then an heir through God.’
The readers / hearers of Paul’s letter would be familiar with sons inheriting from fathers, but that a child would have that inheritance held in trust for them until they matured into adults and became full beneficiaries as sons-and-heirs. For Paul, the law has acted like a guardian, an overseer, but now that Jesus, the rescuer has come, we are fully adopted into the family, and are co-heirs with Christ.
‘Think about it this way: Jesus gave everything to rescue people proven by the law to be sinners. We did not deserve anything, but He rescued us. He gave everything to get to us. And amazingly, He gave us everything in that rescue. What do I mean? Well, we were not simply set free from the prison to live on the outside somewhere. Jesus came to rescue us and bring us into the full fellowship of His family.
Now His Abba is our Abba!
The fellowship of the trinity is the fellowship that is ours.’
let me be
and Yours alone.
May my will forever be –
evermore Your own.
Thank You for adopting me, claiming me, and filling me
now and for ever.
Try calling God by a new name today.
Abba could mean – Father, Dad, Daddy, Papa, Pops…all made possible through the self-giving of our Brother, Jesus.
All posts in Galatians:
- The final word…GRACE.
- A new creation, bearing the marks of Jesus
- May I never boast except in the cross…
- Continue to do good to all…the harvest is coming!
- Taking responsibility, and sharing all good things
- Live by the Spirit – restore, carry burdens, be alongside…
- The right way – fruitful living
- The wrong way – the way of the flesh
- Walk by the Spirit, led by the Spirit
- Freed to serve, freed to love
- Get back on track
- Danger – falling away from grace
- Freedom…true freedom
- Children of Promise
- ‘Who do you think you are…?’
- In labour…until Christ is birthed in you
- Paul received as an angel from God….
- How could you turn back again….?
- Adopted in His family – Abba – Father, God.
- All are ONE in Christ
- Standing on the promises of God
- Living the ‘promise’
- Great things He has done – so loved He the world
- Through you, all people shall be blessed
- Receive the Spirit, by faith not works
- New life, through faith in Christ, alone…
- Masking the truth….
- God has no favourites….and remember the poor
- Guard against ‘false brothers’, and ‘fake news’ (to quote someone else, today…!)
- Persecutor becomes proclaimer!
- Taking time out…to be with Jesus
- Life changing encounters with Jesus
- ‘Super-good news’ revealed directly through Jesus
- No other gospel
- In a nutshell… the gospel
- Grace and Peace to you
- Living to serve Christ, to please God, and not people…
- Sent by the Lord am I
- What’s In A Name?