24th February 2017
GALATIANS 6 v. 15 – 17
‘Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is the new creation.
Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule—to the Israel of God.
From now on, let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus.’
As Paul wraps up his letter to the Galatians, he reminds them that circumcision is only an outward symbol of allegiance to an older order (the way of the law), but what matters is the change which Jesus creates from within a person – a changed heart, a renewed mind, a whole new creation.
No outward show or sign comes anywhere close in comparison.
This new creation, the new person, will bear the marks of Christ’s suffering – we are born again in and through Him, and the marks of the nails in Jesus’ hands, the wound in His side, the piercings from the crown of thorns, will all symbolically become a reality for those who are ‘in Christ’. But we shall also know the ‘peace and mercy’ of our God, in all things.
May the mind of Christ, my Saviour
live in me, from day to day
by His love and power controlling
all I do and say.
May the peace of God, my Father
rule my life in everything
that I may be calm to comfort
sick and sorrowing.
May the love of Jesus fill me
as the waters fill the sea
Him exalting, self abasing
this is victory.
May His beauty rest upon me
as I seek the lost to win
and may they forget the channel
seeing only Him.
(hymn written by Kate B. Wilkinson)
In what ways would you say you ‘bear the marks of Jesus’?
Try to put into words the new life, the ‘new creation’, Jesus has birthed in you.
All posts in Galatians:
- The final word…GRACE.
- A new creation, bearing the marks of Jesus
- May I never boast except in the cross…
- Continue to do good to all…the harvest is coming!
- Taking responsibility, and sharing all good things
- Live by the Spirit – restore, carry burdens, be alongside…
- The right way – fruitful living
- The wrong way – the way of the flesh
- Walk by the Spirit, led by the Spirit
- Freed to serve, freed to love
- Get back on track
- Danger – falling away from grace
- Freedom…true freedom
- Children of Promise
- ‘Who do you think you are…?’
- In labour…until Christ is birthed in you
- Paul received as an angel from God….
- How could you turn back again….?
- Adopted in His family – Abba – Father, God.
- All are ONE in Christ
- Standing on the promises of God
- Living the ‘promise’
- Great things He has done – so loved He the world
- Through you, all people shall be blessed
- Receive the Spirit, by faith not works
- New life, through faith in Christ, alone…
- Masking the truth….
- God has no favourites….and remember the poor
- Guard against ‘false brothers’, and ‘fake news’ (to quote someone else, today…!)
- Persecutor becomes proclaimer!
- Taking time out…to be with Jesus
- Life changing encounters with Jesus
- ‘Super-good news’ revealed directly through Jesus
- No other gospel
- In a nutshell… the gospel
- Grace and Peace to you
- Living to serve Christ, to please God, and not people…
- Sent by the Lord am I
- What’s In A Name?