James 4 v. 4 – 6
‘4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.
5 Or do you think Scripture says without reason that he jealously longs for the spirit he has caused to dwell in us?
6 But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
“God opposes the proud but shows favour to the humble.”’
If yesterday’s reading alerted us to the root causes of conflict with others, today’s highlights the even more serious conflict with God.
James points out that we are unfaithful to God, who is utterly faithful to us.
‘Christians two-time God when we adopt the values and priorities of the world.’
But, God has given up on us – the jealousy wants us back.
And so, He gives us ‘more grace’ – He shows us even more undeserved, lavish kindness.
We, in turn, should ‘humble ourselves’, root out pride, acknowledging, ‘what we are like and what goes on in our hearts’, and to return to Him, our first-love.
examine my heart
scan my soul
and help me see what lies there –
help me to name spiritual unfaithfulness
where it’s perceived,
and give me more grace
that I may be more determined than ever
to root it out
and to return to You –
Help me to love You
over and above everything –
everything the world has to offer.
For the sake of Your kingdom
here and now.
All posts in The Letter Of James
- Finally, a reminder of our mission…seeking the lost, bringing them home
- Prayer works…but how?
- A call to prayer and to praise
- Watch out, the Lord’s coming is near!
- Time to stop exploiting…
- What is your life? No longer our own, but Yours, Lord.
- He will draw near to you…and will lift you up
- Even more grace, freely given
- Understanding our quarrels
- Wisdom from heaven to tame the tongue (and heart)
- Our words, powerful for good or ill
- An inactive faith is a dead faith
- The root of our salvation is by faith, the fruit of our salvation is by works
- Mercy triumphs over judgement (but without judgement, we don’t fully grasp mercy)
- All are equal, all are one…let’s live it out
- Hearing the Word, and acting upon it…
- Father God gives good and perfect gifts
- Heavenly riches (crowns of life) and earthly poverty
- In need of wisdom? You only have to ask…
- Introducing Bible Month – the letter of James (i)