16th February 2017
GALATIANS 5 v. 13 – 15
‘You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.
For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.’
Of course, Paul does not intend our ‘freedom’ through faith in Christ to mean license to do whatever we want. We have been set free to ‘serve one another in love’. We have been set free to ‘love neighbour and to love self’.
Our freedom is a liberation to serve and to love.
The BBC has again been focussing some attention on ‘random acts of kindness’ (Breakfast Show on BBC1 yesterday) – the spontaneous generous deeds, often enacted towards complete strangers – and the liberation we have in Christ can set us free to be even more daring, even more outrageous with our radical hospitality and extravagant generosity.
help release me from my fears,
from my pride,
from my self-protection;
bring me into a new freedom,
free to serve,
free to love,
in the way You serve
and love me.
Try it out – a random act of kindness – today!
Be free to be generous, and to serve in love.
All posts in Galatians:
- The final word…GRACE.
- A new creation, bearing the marks of Jesus
- May I never boast except in the cross…
- Continue to do good to all…the harvest is coming!
- Taking responsibility, and sharing all good things
- Live by the Spirit – restore, carry burdens, be alongside…
- The right way – fruitful living
- The wrong way – the way of the flesh
- Walk by the Spirit, led by the Spirit
- Freed to serve, freed to love
- Get back on track
- Danger – falling away from grace
- Freedom…true freedom
- Children of Promise
- ‘Who do you think you are…?’
- In labour…until Christ is birthed in you
- Paul received as an angel from God….
- How could you turn back again….?
- Adopted in His family – Abba – Father, God.
- All are ONE in Christ
- Standing on the promises of God
- Living the ‘promise’
- Great things He has done – so loved He the world
- Through you, all people shall be blessed
- Receive the Spirit, by faith not works
- New life, through faith in Christ, alone…
- Masking the truth….
- God has no favourites….and remember the poor
- Guard against ‘false brothers’, and ‘fake news’ (to quote someone else, today…!)
- Persecutor becomes proclaimer!
- Taking time out…to be with Jesus
- Life changing encounters with Jesus
- ‘Super-good news’ revealed directly through Jesus
- No other gospel
- In a nutshell… the gospel
- Grace and Peace to you
- Living to serve Christ, to please God, and not people…
- Sent by the Lord am I
- What’s In A Name?