10th February 2017
GALATIANS 5 v. 1
‘It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.’
Paul bridges all of his doctrinal, ‘belief’, concerns (that it is ‘faith in Christ’, not works of piety/rules, which brings salvation) into the final two chapters concerning the outworking, ‘practice’ of such faith – what it should look like in daily living, whole-life discipleship – with this wonderful verse.
Simply put, it underlines what Jesus has done for us, and our response.
Jesus sets us free, and if we are freed by Him, we shall be ‘free indeed’ (Jesus’ own words in John 8 v. 36).
The freedom Jesus brings is freedom from sin, shame, guilt; freedom from self-righteousness, of it all being about what we can (or rather ‘can’t’) achieve; freedom from the past, a new life, ‘the old has gone’; freedom from living to please others, or even trying to earn God’s favour; freedom to be who were always designed/created to be.
And our response – we must ‘stand firm’, protect this freedom, guard it well, for it is vulnerable to attack, we can so easily drift from it, so we must be vigilant, careful, determined to ‘live free’ continually, and not be bound by anything that is thrown at us.
Christ has set us free to experience freedom, not any other form of slavery, or being bound.
He will now go on to spell out what this freedom looks like, every day.
thank You for paying the price
for my freedom.
Free me today
from all that seeks to lay hold of me,
and stifle me
as I seek to live for You
and for You alone.
Free me to love You,
to love others
and to self
and so fulfill
Your purpose in my life.
Consider (and perhaps write down) those things / issues / people / situations which you sense have an unhealthy hold on you, which at times bind you and make you feel trapped (enslaved). Speak them out to God, and ask for an awareness of how the Son of Man might set you free, completely free, from them (it doesn’t always, or even often, mean that those situations change, but our response and reaction to them, and the hold they might have over us, could be changed, in Christ).
All posts in Galatians:
- The final word…GRACE.
- A new creation, bearing the marks of Jesus
- May I never boast except in the cross…
- Continue to do good to all…the harvest is coming!
- Taking responsibility, and sharing all good things
- Live by the Spirit – restore, carry burdens, be alongside…
- The right way – fruitful living
- The wrong way – the way of the flesh
- Walk by the Spirit, led by the Spirit
- Freed to serve, freed to love
- Get back on track
- Danger – falling away from grace
- Freedom…true freedom
- Children of Promise
- ‘Who do you think you are…?’
- In labour…until Christ is birthed in you
- Paul received as an angel from God….
- How could you turn back again….?
- Adopted in His family – Abba – Father, God.
- All are ONE in Christ
- Standing on the promises of God
- Living the ‘promise’
- Great things He has done – so loved He the world
- Through you, all people shall be blessed
- Receive the Spirit, by faith not works
- New life, through faith in Christ, alone…
- Masking the truth….
- God has no favourites….and remember the poor
- Guard against ‘false brothers’, and ‘fake news’ (to quote someone else, today…!)
- Persecutor becomes proclaimer!
- Taking time out…to be with Jesus
- Life changing encounters with Jesus
- ‘Super-good news’ revealed directly through Jesus
- No other gospel
- In a nutshell… the gospel
- Grace and Peace to you
- Living to serve Christ, to please God, and not people…
- Sent by the Lord am I
- What’s In A Name?