February 13th 2017
GALATIANS 5 v. 7 – 12
‘You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth?
That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you.
“A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough.”
I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion, whoever that may be, will have to pay the penalty.
Brothers and sisters, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished.
As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!’
Paul uses pretty violent language there at the end of these verses to express how he feels about those who are insisting upon circumcision for the Gentile Christians.
He feels so very strongly that this is an absolute denial of the sheer GRACE by which we are put right with God, through our FAITH in Him. To add anything else as a requirement is horrendously wrong, so why stop at circumcision, why not go all the way, and castrate yourself!
Colourful language, Paul.
Yet, he remains confident that the Galatians will get back ‘on course’, and not continue down the deflected road they’ve been nudged down. The race is still there to be run.
Keep the focus, and head for the line.
Lord, let me see the distractions
for what they are
and not be dragged off course.
‘Keep my eyes fixed on You –
my Saviour and Protector
Keep my eyes fixed on You
my Author and Perfector
not looking left, not looking right
unafraid to fight the fight
Keep my eyes fixed on You
King of kings.’
Take time to reflect upon what causes you ‘to keep from obeying the truth’.
Determine to keep focussed on Jesus, and on His teachings – ‘the truth will set you free’.
All posts in Galatians:
- The final word…GRACE.
- A new creation, bearing the marks of Jesus
- May I never boast except in the cross…
- Continue to do good to all…the harvest is coming!
- Taking responsibility, and sharing all good things
- Live by the Spirit – restore, carry burdens, be alongside…
- The right way – fruitful living
- The wrong way – the way of the flesh
- Walk by the Spirit, led by the Spirit
- Freed to serve, freed to love
- Get back on track
- Danger – falling away from grace
- Freedom…true freedom
- Children of Promise
- ‘Who do you think you are…?’
- In labour…until Christ is birthed in you
- Paul received as an angel from God….
- How could you turn back again….?
- Adopted in His family – Abba – Father, God.
- All are ONE in Christ
- Standing on the promises of God
- Living the ‘promise’
- Great things He has done – so loved He the world
- Through you, all people shall be blessed
- Receive the Spirit, by faith not works
- New life, through faith in Christ, alone…
- Masking the truth….
- God has no favourites….and remember the poor
- Guard against ‘false brothers’, and ‘fake news’ (to quote someone else, today…!)
- Persecutor becomes proclaimer!
- Taking time out…to be with Jesus
- Life changing encounters with Jesus
- ‘Super-good news’ revealed directly through Jesus
- No other gospel
- In a nutshell… the gospel
- Grace and Peace to you
- Living to serve Christ, to please God, and not people…
- Sent by the Lord am I
- What’s In A Name?