Friday 13th January
GALATIANS 1 v. 2 – 3
‘and all of the brothers who are with me / alongside me to the churches of Galatia,
grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ’
Although Paul has already claimed the authority of God – the Father – and Jesus, he does acknowledge here the accountability of ‘the brothers’ around him – that God-give authority is worked out and discerned in community.
I thank God for my brothers and sisters in Christ who confirm in / for me all that I believe He has called and is calling me to.
‘Grace’ (God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense) described as ‘not simply a gracious attitude on God’s part, but His gracious act in the self-giving of Christ’; this grace (which Paul mentions six times in this letter) is in contrast to the works-righteousness which the ‘law’ engenders.
‘Peace’ (Greek ‘eireinei’, equivalent to Hebrew ‘shalom’) meaning ‘every kind of blessing and good’ or ’embracing well-being, prosperity, victory, love and salvation’.
‘Grace’ is God’s activity towards an undeserving, sometimes ‘indifferent and disloyal’ people, and ‘peace’ is the resulting condition for us.
even though Paul is about to be very harshly critical of the Galatian churches
for falling away from the truth of the gospel,
he greets them with a gospel greeting,
praying grace and peace over them.
May grace and peace guide all my thinking
and all my actions today,
for Your sake, Lord Jesus Christ.
Find a way of thanking today those who have been alongside you as you discerned God’s call and direction for your life.
All posts in Galatians:
- The final word…GRACE.
- A new creation, bearing the marks of Jesus
- May I never boast except in the cross…
- Continue to do good to all…the harvest is coming!
- Taking responsibility, and sharing all good things
- Live by the Spirit – restore, carry burdens, be alongside…
- The right way – fruitful living
- The wrong way – the way of the flesh
- Walk by the Spirit, led by the Spirit
- Freed to serve, freed to love
- Get back on track
- Danger – falling away from grace
- Freedom…true freedom
- Children of Promise
- ‘Who do you think you are…?’
- In labour…until Christ is birthed in you
- Paul received as an angel from God….
- How could you turn back again….?
- Adopted in His family – Abba – Father, God.
- All are ONE in Christ
- Standing on the promises of God
- Living the ‘promise’
- Great things He has done – so loved He the world
- Through you, all people shall be blessed
- Receive the Spirit, by faith not works
- New life, through faith in Christ, alone…
- Masking the truth….
- God has no favourites….and remember the poor
- Guard against ‘false brothers’, and ‘fake news’ (to quote someone else, today…!)
- Persecutor becomes proclaimer!
- Taking time out…to be with Jesus
- Life changing encounters with Jesus
- ‘Super-good news’ revealed directly through Jesus
- No other gospel
- In a nutshell… the gospel
- Grace and Peace to you
- Living to serve Christ, to please God, and not people…
- Sent by the Lord am I
- What’s In A Name?