James 1 v. 5 – 8
‘5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.
7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.
8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.’
v. 5 : here, ‘wisdom’ is linked to experiencing joy amidst trials, to know God’s presence, purpose and peace despite our circumstances, and the particular pressures in our discipleship
; we can have confidence in asking God because of who He is:
– He is generous;
– He gives to all;
– He gives without finding fault (He never says, ‘Your really messed that up…’)
v. 6 – 8 : James urges us in our praying not to ‘hedge our bets’, but to trust God completely, for His generous provision of all we’ll need. It is harder for those who are ‘double-minded’ to truly receive what God desires to give. Receiving from God is, indeed, an act of faith.
Prayer for today
Generous Father God,
when we are floundering,
full of confusion and doubt,
in the midst of trials and intense pressures
remind us to ask for wisdom
and assure us of Your faithfulness,
Your goodness and generosity.
Increase our faith,
that when we ask, we receive –
and may we look for your generous gift
in every situation
and every circumstance of life.
Increase our wisdom today, Lord.
All posts in The Letter Of James
- Finally, a reminder of our mission…seeking the lost, bringing them home
- Prayer works…but how?
- A call to prayer and to praise
- Watch out, the Lord’s coming is near!
- Time to stop exploiting…
- What is your life? No longer our own, but Yours, Lord.
- He will draw near to you…and will lift you up
- Even more grace, freely given
- Understanding our quarrels
- Wisdom from heaven to tame the tongue (and heart)
- Our words, powerful for good or ill
- An inactive faith is a dead faith
- The root of our salvation is by faith, the fruit of our salvation is by works
- Mercy triumphs over judgement (but without judgement, we don’t fully grasp mercy)
- All are equal, all are one…let’s live it out
- Hearing the Word, and acting upon it…
- Father God gives good and perfect gifts
- Heavenly riches (crowns of life) and earthly poverty
- In need of wisdom? You only have to ask…
- Introducing Bible Month – the letter of James (i)