January 28th 2017
GALATIANS 3 v. 15 – 19
‘Dear brothers, I speak in terms of human relationships, even though it is only a man’s covenant, yet when it has been ratified, no-one sets it aside or adds conditions to it.
Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed.
He does not say, ‘And to seeds’, as referring to many, but rather to one, ‘And to your seed’, that is, Christ.
What I am saying is this: the law, which came four hundred and thirty years later, does not invalidate a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to nullify the promise.
For if the inheritance is based on law, it is no longer based on a promise, but God has granted it to Abraham by means of a promise.’
Paul’s argument is that the ‘covenant promise’ came first, is the real core of our faith, not the law which followed some hundreds of years later. The new covenant is the fulfillment of that ‘promise’ to Abraham, ratified in Christ –
‘this cup is my blood – the blood of the new covenant – poured out for you, and for many, for the forgiveness of sin’.
God is seen, once again, to always keep His promises, and His Spirit enables us to keep ours.
O Jesus, Thou hast promised
to all who follow Thee
that where Thou art in glory
there shall Thy servant be.
And Jesus I have promised
to serve Thee to the end
Be Thou forever near me
my Master and my Friend
How will your life look different today, if you make all your decisions, and allow all your actions to be guided by this biblical truth – you are part of God’s unfolding promise to Abraham, that (in Christ) through you, all peoples will be blessed?
Go for it – You are His, and He is Yours.
All posts in Galatians:
- The final word…GRACE.
- A new creation, bearing the marks of Jesus
- May I never boast except in the cross…
- Continue to do good to all…the harvest is coming!
- Taking responsibility, and sharing all good things
- Live by the Spirit – restore, carry burdens, be alongside…
- The right way – fruitful living
- The wrong way – the way of the flesh
- Walk by the Spirit, led by the Spirit
- Freed to serve, freed to love
- Get back on track
- Danger – falling away from grace
- Freedom…true freedom
- Children of Promise
- ‘Who do you think you are…?’
- In labour…until Christ is birthed in you
- Paul received as an angel from God….
- How could you turn back again….?
- Adopted in His family – Abba – Father, God.
- All are ONE in Christ
- Standing on the promises of God
- Living the ‘promise’
- Great things He has done – so loved He the world
- Through you, all people shall be blessed
- Receive the Spirit, by faith not works
- New life, through faith in Christ, alone…
- Masking the truth….
- God has no favourites….and remember the poor
- Guard against ‘false brothers’, and ‘fake news’ (to quote someone else, today…!)
- Persecutor becomes proclaimer!
- Taking time out…to be with Jesus
- Life changing encounters with Jesus
- ‘Super-good news’ revealed directly through Jesus
- No other gospel
- In a nutshell… the gospel
- Grace and Peace to you
- Living to serve Christ, to please God, and not people…
- Sent by the Lord am I
- What’s In A Name?