19th January 2017
GALATIANS 1 v. 21 – 24
‘Then I journeyed into the regions of Syria and Cilicia.
Meanwhile, I was yet unknown by sight amongst the Judean churches which were in Christ.
For they only kept hearing, ‘the one who was persecuting us is now preaching the good news, expounding the faith which he once attacked.
And they glorified God because of me.’
During a stay of several years in these regions, Paul preached…When word of revival in Syrian Antioch reached the ears of the church at Jerusalem – they sent Barnabas off to Antioch…with Paul, they ‘taught considerable numbers’ in Antioch.
It was here that ‘the disciples were first called Christians.’ (Acts 11 v. 20 – 26)
Even though Paul was not known to the churches in Jerusalem and around Judea, and even though many either still feared him, or at least were skeptical about his dramatic change of heart and vocation, yet still they glorified God for the numbers coming to faith in Syria, and this, for Paul, is a proof that his gospel is the same as the ‘apostles’, and is bearing great fruit.
Give glory to God
for those who introduced you to Jesus,
for those who nurtured you in your faith,
for those you would like to see come to Christ,
for those who are coming to Christ, all over the world today,
and especially those who will be persecuted for their faith.
Lord, in Your mercy – hear our prayer.
‘Think of people you can’t imagine becoming Christians.
Ask God to turn their lives around, as He did with Paul.’ (Engage Bible Notes)
Commit to pray for these people daily for the next few weeks.
All posts in Galatians:
- The final word…GRACE.
- A new creation, bearing the marks of Jesus
- May I never boast except in the cross…
- Continue to do good to all…the harvest is coming!
- Taking responsibility, and sharing all good things
- Live by the Spirit – restore, carry burdens, be alongside…
- The right way – fruitful living
- The wrong way – the way of the flesh
- Walk by the Spirit, led by the Spirit
- Freed to serve, freed to love
- Get back on track
- Danger – falling away from grace
- Freedom…true freedom
- Children of Promise
- ‘Who do you think you are…?’
- In labour…until Christ is birthed in you
- Paul received as an angel from God….
- How could you turn back again….?
- Adopted in His family – Abba – Father, God.
- All are ONE in Christ
- Standing on the promises of God
- Living the ‘promise’
- Great things He has done – so loved He the world
- Through you, all people shall be blessed
- Receive the Spirit, by faith not works
- New life, through faith in Christ, alone…
- Masking the truth….
- God has no favourites….and remember the poor
- Guard against ‘false brothers’, and ‘fake news’ (to quote someone else, today…!)
- Persecutor becomes proclaimer!
- Taking time out…to be with Jesus
- Life changing encounters with Jesus
- ‘Super-good news’ revealed directly through Jesus
- No other gospel
- In a nutshell… the gospel
- Grace and Peace to you
- Living to serve Christ, to please God, and not people…
- Sent by the Lord am I
- What’s In A Name?