Monday 16th January
GALATIANS 1 v. 11 – 12
‘I want you to understand, brothers, that the gospel good-news which I preached did not come from a man.
For I didn’t receive it from a man, nor through being taught it, but by a revelation of Jesus Christ.’
Already, Paul has been at pains to underline how directly he has heard from God, receiving the gospel as Jesus appeared to directly to him – no authentication is required through men or teaching.
In this passage, I like the double use of the word rooted in ‘euangelion’, literally ‘the gospel good-news by which I proclaimed the gospel good-news’. This is ‘super-good news’, because it is all grace and none of our doing (not self / works righteousness).
‘I propose that Methodism reclaim the grammar, conceptual framework, and the experience of Christian mysticism because it offers the holy fire of our tradition….
The Wesleyan message offers a holistic gospel that heals and redeems body, mind, spirit, relationships, institutions and systems through the power of the Holy Spirit….
Mysticism and mission go hand in hand in the Methodist story. Hearing from God and allowing ourselves to be transformed and sent in new directions is inherent in our tradition.’ (Elaine Heath, ‘God Unbound’)
may we be truly open
to Your revelation, Your appearing, Your enlightenment
and may we be open also
to what You may reveal to us through others.
May we grasp this ‘super-good news’,
this amazing grace
and live it out today.
Think about any times when you felt you’d heard directly from God.
Where were you?
What were the circumstances?
Did you tell anyone else about it?
Give thanks to God for His revelation, His speaking to you.
All posts in Galatians:
- The final word…GRACE.
- A new creation, bearing the marks of Jesus
- May I never boast except in the cross…
- Continue to do good to all…the harvest is coming!
- Taking responsibility, and sharing all good things
- Live by the Spirit – restore, carry burdens, be alongside…
- The right way – fruitful living
- The wrong way – the way of the flesh
- Walk by the Spirit, led by the Spirit
- Freed to serve, freed to love
- Get back on track
- Danger – falling away from grace
- Freedom…true freedom
- Children of Promise
- ‘Who do you think you are…?’
- In labour…until Christ is birthed in you
- Paul received as an angel from God….
- How could you turn back again….?
- Adopted in His family – Abba – Father, God.
- All are ONE in Christ
- Standing on the promises of God
- Living the ‘promise’
- Great things He has done – so loved He the world
- Through you, all people shall be blessed
- Receive the Spirit, by faith not works
- New life, through faith in Christ, alone…
- Masking the truth….
- God has no favourites….and remember the poor
- Guard against ‘false brothers’, and ‘fake news’ (to quote someone else, today…!)
- Persecutor becomes proclaimer!
- Taking time out…to be with Jesus
- Life changing encounters with Jesus
- ‘Super-good news’ revealed directly through Jesus
- No other gospel
- In a nutshell… the gospel
- Grace and Peace to you
- Living to serve Christ, to please God, and not people…
- Sent by the Lord am I
- What’s In A Name?