Wednesday 25th January 2017
GALATIANS 3 v. 1 – 5
‘You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?
This is the only thing I want to find out from you : did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by hearing with faith?
Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?
Did you suffer so many things in vain – if indeed it was in vain?
Does He then, who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the law, or by hearing with faith?’
Paul has mentioned God the Father and God the Son several times already in this letter to the Galatians. Now he moves further to begin discussing the gift of God the Holy Spirit.
In a similar way to his previous argument that the Law is unable to make us right with God (merely to point out how far we fall short), Paul points out here that the Law is also unable to bring us to an encounter with God the Spirit.
We receive the Spirit through opening up our lives to faith in Jesus.
The great frustration for Paul is that these Galatians set out well and true in their faith, but they have been ‘bewitched’, and are now acting ‘foolishly’. Strong words from Paul, for there is such a poisonous danger that these Christians will lose their focus, lose their freedom, lose the Spirit.
thank You for breathing
this faith-life into me.
Fan into flame
that passion for grace and truth
which filled Jesus completely.
Keep my feet on the right path,
not deviating to the left or right,
but walking in step with You
and every day.
Make a list of the ‘benefits’ of your life of faith in Jesus (including ‘receiving the Spirit’ and all that the Holy Spirit brings you).
Determine to protect the purity and integrity of your faith, recognising the risk of losing so much, as the Galatians were clearly doing.
All posts in Galatians:
- The final word…GRACE.
- A new creation, bearing the marks of Jesus
- May I never boast except in the cross…
- Continue to do good to all…the harvest is coming!
- Taking responsibility, and sharing all good things
- Live by the Spirit – restore, carry burdens, be alongside…
- The right way – fruitful living
- The wrong way – the way of the flesh
- Walk by the Spirit, led by the Spirit
- Freed to serve, freed to love
- Get back on track
- Danger – falling away from grace
- Freedom…true freedom
- Children of Promise
- ‘Who do you think you are…?’
- In labour…until Christ is birthed in you
- Paul received as an angel from God….
- How could you turn back again….?
- Adopted in His family – Abba – Father, God.
- All are ONE in Christ
- Standing on the promises of God
- Living the ‘promise’
- Great things He has done – so loved He the world
- Through you, all people shall be blessed
- Receive the Spirit, by faith not works
- New life, through faith in Christ, alone…
- Masking the truth….
- God has no favourites….and remember the poor
- Guard against ‘false brothers’, and ‘fake news’ (to quote someone else, today…!)
- Persecutor becomes proclaimer!
- Taking time out…to be with Jesus
- Life changing encounters with Jesus
- ‘Super-good news’ revealed directly through Jesus
- No other gospel
- In a nutshell… the gospel
- Grace and Peace to you
- Living to serve Christ, to please God, and not people…
- Sent by the Lord am I
- What’s In A Name?