20th January 2017
GALATIANS 2 v. 1 – 5
‘Then, after an interval of fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas,
taking Titus along also.
And it was because of a revelation that I went up; and I submitted to them the gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but I did so in private to those who were of reputation, for fear that I might be running or had run in vain.
But not even Titus who was with me, though he was a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised.
But it was because of the false brothers who had sneaked in to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, in order to bring us back into bondage.’
Again, Paul is prompted by a revelation, to seek out a meeting with ‘those who were of reputation’, to check out, against fierce opposition and the underhand tactics of the infiltrators who were undermining Paul’s gospel and his call, and so he goes back to Jerusalem – not on his own, but with Barnabas and Titus.
Paul is clear that these infiltrators are ‘false brothers’, who have an intention to tie people back into Mosaic Law (including circumcision), when there’s a new freedom, a real liberty which has come to Paul, and to the growing Gentile and Jewish Christian communities, which is now being threatened.
may we be on guard
against all that threatens
our peace, and our liberty in You –
all that would seek to entangle us,
tie us up,
and enchain us again,
after the taste of freedom
we have found in You.
And help us to be those
who ‘release’ and ‘free’ others,
in Your name.
Who are the people of influence, ‘those who were of reputation’, that we are able to seek out, for spiritual guidance, support and direction?
Who are the wise ones in our life, whose counsel and support we treasure?
Let them know how precious they are to you – sent them a greeting, a card, an email, a gift.
All posts in Galatians:
- The final word…GRACE.
- A new creation, bearing the marks of Jesus
- May I never boast except in the cross…
- Continue to do good to all…the harvest is coming!
- Taking responsibility, and sharing all good things
- Live by the Spirit – restore, carry burdens, be alongside…
- The right way – fruitful living
- The wrong way – the way of the flesh
- Walk by the Spirit, led by the Spirit
- Freed to serve, freed to love
- Get back on track
- Danger – falling away from grace
- Freedom…true freedom
- Children of Promise
- ‘Who do you think you are…?’
- In labour…until Christ is birthed in you
- Paul received as an angel from God….
- How could you turn back again….?
- Adopted in His family – Abba – Father, God.
- All are ONE in Christ
- Standing on the promises of God
- Living the ‘promise’
- Great things He has done – so loved He the world
- Through you, all people shall be blessed
- Receive the Spirit, by faith not works
- New life, through faith in Christ, alone…
- Masking the truth….
- God has no favourites….and remember the poor
- Guard against ‘false brothers’, and ‘fake news’ (to quote someone else, today…!)
- Persecutor becomes proclaimer!
- Taking time out…to be with Jesus
- Life changing encounters with Jesus
- ‘Super-good news’ revealed directly through Jesus
- No other gospel
- In a nutshell… the gospel
- Grace and Peace to you
- Living to serve Christ, to please God, and not people…
- Sent by the Lord am I
- What’s In A Name?