Sunday 15th January
GALATIANS 1 v. 6 – 9
‘I am astounded that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel, which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you, and want to distort the gospel of Christ.
But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
As we have said before, so I say again now, if anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to that which you received, let him be accursed.’
As we shall see during this letter, Paul’s ‘charge’ is that the Galatian church has been taken off course by those (with a Jewish background and motivation) who wish to add to the gospel of Christ, the gospel of grace, by adding Jewish laws, traditions and expectations, including circumcision. This is no gospel at all, according to Paul.
The gospel at its heart is simple – it’s all of God’s grace, and none of our doing. But, habitually, we can all find ourselves drifting back into a non-gospel which relies upon our efforts, our achievements, our trying to make God love us, or even to make God owe us His favour.
(from the hymn ‘Rock of Ages’)
Not the labours of my hands can fulfill Thy law’s commands
Could my zeal no respite know, could my tears forever flow
All for sin could not atone, Thou must save, and Thou alone.
Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to the cross I cling
Naked, come to Thee for dress, helpless look to Thee for grace
Foul, I to the fountain fly; wash me, Saviour, or I die.
Keep asking yourself, ‘Is God’s grace sufficient for all my needs,
or am I adding to what is expected of me / required by me?’
Then ask God, by His Spirit, to help you live by the gospel of grace alone.
‘In Christ alone my hope is found’.
All posts in Galatians:
- The final word…GRACE.
- A new creation, bearing the marks of Jesus
- May I never boast except in the cross…
- Continue to do good to all…the harvest is coming!
- Taking responsibility, and sharing all good things
- Live by the Spirit – restore, carry burdens, be alongside…
- The right way – fruitful living
- The wrong way – the way of the flesh
- Walk by the Spirit, led by the Spirit
- Freed to serve, freed to love
- Get back on track
- Danger – falling away from grace
- Freedom…true freedom
- Children of Promise
- ‘Who do you think you are…?’
- In labour…until Christ is birthed in you
- Paul received as an angel from God….
- How could you turn back again….?
- Adopted in His family – Abba – Father, God.
- All are ONE in Christ
- Standing on the promises of God
- Living the ‘promise’
- Great things He has done – so loved He the world
- Through you, all people shall be blessed
- Receive the Spirit, by faith not works
- New life, through faith in Christ, alone…
- Masking the truth….
- God has no favourites….and remember the poor
- Guard against ‘false brothers’, and ‘fake news’ (to quote someone else, today…!)
- Persecutor becomes proclaimer!
- Taking time out…to be with Jesus
- Life changing encounters with Jesus
- ‘Super-good news’ revealed directly through Jesus
- No other gospel
- In a nutshell… the gospel
- Grace and Peace to you
- Living to serve Christ, to please God, and not people…
- Sent by the Lord am I
- What’s In A Name?